Sunday, November 4, 2012

Duri Rejuvacote : Review

I had heard great things about this system and since I had removed my acrylic nails about a month ago, I was looking for something to heal my nails and make them strong and healthy while they were growing out new healthy nail. So I decided to give this a try! I ordered mine off of amazon.com for about half the price it sells for on it's website.

Here is what the package looks like:


Now first off, in some of the reviews people had mentioned feeling intense burning in their nails and fingers almost immediately after applying this. Some said it did wonders for their nails and they've used it for years with no adverse side effects. I've never experienced any issues with a nail polish before so I thought I would be fine. 

WHAT IT CLAIMS:
Rejuvacote the nail doctor will heal and cure your split, cracked and acrylic eaten nails. In a matter of weeks you will enjoy the look and feel of strong, vital, natural nails.
"FROM DYING NAILS TO NAILS TO DIE FOR"

DIRECTIONS:
Begin with clean dry nails. Apply one coat of Rejuvacote as base coat. Apply nail color if desired. Apply Rejuvacote as top coat, daily. After 7 days, remove with polish remover. As your nails improve, apply every other day or as needed.

INGREDIENTS:
ethyl acetate, butyl acetate, nitrocellulose, tosylamide/formaldehyde resin, isopropyl alcohol, n-butyl alcohol, trimethyl pentanyl diisobutyrate, camphor, ci 15850 (red 6 lake), hydrolized wheat protein, hydrolyzed soy protein, hydrolyzed keratin protein, calcium pantothenate.

The bottle:


Here is my experience. I prepped my nails with my normal routine and they were clean of any polishes, creams, cuticle remover, etc. I started to apply the Rejuvacote and before i was even done with both hands the sensation started, but I continued and finished both hands with two coats. But within minutes all my nails and fingers were on FIRE!!! People were not lying about the burning. The best way i can explain it is if you've had acrylics done and they drill too much, it's the same burning sensation but times 10 fingers! After the polish had dried I applied olive oil and my Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream and the burning stopped after about 20 minutes. 

Then it came to Day 2. Each day you have to apply a new coat. I thought foolishly that maybe it would just burn the first time. NOT THE CASE! When i did my coat for day 2 the same burning all over again! And then all of day 3 my nails and fingertips were so sensitive! Like I had just ripped off acrylic and my nails were mush! And I ended up getting TWO breaks that day! So when it came to doing my coat that night I couldn't bring myself to do it. I wanted so badly for this to work!

Some of the things that I've read said it could be due to being allergic to one or more of the ingredients but I've never experienced something like that from any nail polish before. Some people also said it could be that my nails were just too weak, thin and sensitive but that doesn't make sense to me because it claims to be for "acrylic eaten nails" and my nails really aren't THAT damaged. So sad to say this was a doozy for me :(

BIG THUMBS DOWN!!


**UPDATE** After about 6 weeks of not having acrylic I decided to try this again. At this point I did not experience any of the burning and was able to wear it from then on without any burning. If you are able to wear this, it really does work as a nail growth product. My nails did grow quite fast. But another defect I found with this since being able to wear it was that it chipped horribly. Within 24 hours. It was impossible to wear this continually for 7 days. The most I ever wore it was up to 4 days but that was with painting right over the chips. Or I would basically put it on, take it off, put it on, take it off, and it did still work to help my nails grow but there was no way it lasts 7 whole days with no chips or peeling.

So in all, I personally would not buy this again. It does work but not for all that hassle. I much prefer OPI - Nail Envy. That is my MUST HAVE product.


xo, Colleen

Instagram: @lusterlacquer
ManiDiaries: @LusterLacquer



16 comments:

  1. I supply Rejuvacote it is my best selling product. Occasionally there are a few people that are allergic to it but the burning pain that you have experienced is due to the damage that you have had from acrylic . When acrylic is applied they file down the layers of your nail to virtually the skin so the nails are extremely weak. Rejuvacote contains calcium and keratin perhaps you are allergic to both of those ingredients . Or my other suggestion is to apply rejuvacote a few weeks after you have taken off your acrylics .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have added in an update at the end of the post if you'd like to read it. I did my own acrylic and never used a drill, I just slightly filed the surface of my nail with a medium file. But I still feel for a product that claims "for acrylic eaten nails", that it could be applied directly after acrylics. I know not everything will work for everybody, clearly. I just wanted to share my experience so that people reading about Rejuvacote know all the possible outcomes. I know people that love this product but it did not work for me.

      Delete
    2. I know this is an old post but I don't believe that's true. I also had this burning experience with Rejuvacote and I have never had acrylic nails in my life. My nails are a bit brittle but are otherwise totally normal, healthy nails.

      Delete
  2. I've just applied mine for the first time to bare nails which have never had acrylics, but are weak and peeling and haven't exerienced any burning or pain. It went on just like any other polish, am looking forward to seeing for myself if this repairs my nails... thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Obviously I stumbled across your review because my nails are on FIRE!!! Although 5 of my nails which aren't as super damaged as the others are not burning. I really have been trying to fight through the burn but it's been about an hour now. I definately won't apply a new coat in the morning and maybe they need to just get stronger first? My nails were thinner than paper after doing the gel polish for so long and having naturally thin nails to begin with. I just wonder how long could the burn go on for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, the burning won't really get better until your nails have a chance to grow a bit and get healthier. I couldn't wear it till almost 2 months after I had removed acrylics and even then a couple nails were still tender. But now it is completely fine and I can use it continually. Although I don't lol. I don't really ever use this much. I would recommend OPI Nail Envy. I had great success with that! And I haven't hurt about that ever burning. By the time I tried it my nails were in better shape so I never knew if it would cause burning or not. But maybe you could try that? Or just wait a little while and try Rejuvacote again.

      Delete
  4. First off you had to rebuild your nails
    Not strengthen them with any kind of strengtheners
    After acrylic or gels better to start with Herome Exit Damaged Nails
    Twice per day for about 8 wks
    Then massage daily your nails and cuticles with Lush Lemony Flutter

    It took me about 3 - 4 months to recover my nails after gels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that, but a product that is marketed and claims to "heal and cure your split, cracked and acrylic eaten nails. From dying nails, to nails to die for." It is very misleading to say it heals "acrylic eaten nails", if you in fact can not use it after wearing acrylics. If it did that to my nails, and they weren't even that messed up, I can't imagine how it would have been if my nails were "split" or "cracked" like it says it can heal. That would have been excruciating pain! I found other methods and other products that worked fabulously for me WITH NO PAIN! I now have healthy, beautiful, strong nails without using Duri.

      Delete
  5. I tried this product because my nails are a bit thin from using gel polish for a while. This product is marketed for "dying nails" so should be safe (since it is made specifically FOR) damaged and/or weak nails. Within a few minutes of applying to my nails, my fingertips felt like they were absolutely on fire. The pain was so intense that it went up my arms into my shoulders and neck. I quickly did an online search for "rejuvacote and burning" and felt many similar reviews. Lots of others have had the same reaction. I immediately removed the application and soaked my fingers in cooking oil (I read some reviews that said this helped). The pain had diminished within an hour. But I wonder why this product is still on the market. I purchased it from a beauty products boutique that touts superior products. I was told this worked for 90% of people--but what the salesperson (the owner, actually) didn't tell me is that many people have this horrible reaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is completely false and misleading in what it claims. "Will heal and cure your split, cracked and acrylic eaten nails" definitely gives me the impression that I could use it after removing my acrylics (the safe way at that) without all the tearing and cracking of my nails. It is a good product though. After a couple months of letting my nails grow I was able to use it without getting any burning and it did make my nails grow quite fast but as far as "healing acrylic eaten nails" you can forget it! They definitely need to re-word it so that people (especially those that tend to rip/bite off acrylics) don't foolishly try it in hopes of saving their nails. They should at least put a warning label or disclaimer letting people know the possible side effects. I recommend a regimen of Biotin daily and OPI Nail Envy. Those together have made my nails so healthy and strong.

      Delete
  6. A friend of mine offered to give me a manicure this weekend, and used the Rejuvacote as a base. I didn't experience any burning when she applied it, but I've also never gotten acrylics before and haven't had a gel manicure in months. I generally just do regular polish manicures which don't last more than a day or two because my nails are so weak and brittle. Though it's only been one day, there's already a noticeable difference in my nail strength. I'm ordering this product from amazon now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After many years of wearing acrylics,I decided to go natural. This is a very trying experience...I started using Rejuvacote as soon as I took them off and it absolutley burned my nail bed. They didnt look too bad the first few weeks.. now my nails are starting to separate from my nail bed, any free edge that I had is now gone and it looks terrible. Could I be having an allergic reaction to somethin in the Rejuvacote?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Terry that sounds awful! I'm no doctor so I can't comment if you may be allergic or not but I have heard many claims of people being allergic to one of the ingredients and many many claims of that horrible burning sensation! There are other circumstances that can lead the nail to lift from the nail bed. I would suggest you see a physician to get an accurate diagnosis of what might be happening. Take Rejuvacote with you and explain what has happened but also be open to the idea that it may be something else. Even if they do determine it was caused by Rejuvacote they hopefully will be able to give you a treatment or tell you what to do to heal your problem. I really hope you figure it out and can have healthy nails again!

      Delete
  8. Duri Rejuvicote, This product, does chip, and it works okay so far. I don't wear false nails. Iit seems to be working so far. I also use O.P.I. nail envy, but the company must have messed with the formula, because now it chips and chips and chips, it sucks because i really love that stuff. And for the price 17.99 at your local sally store. its insane. but it does work, so its worth it. remember, you get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Heck this burned my nails! It caused a damn panic attack. Took an hr to diminish the pain, however my nails hurt afterwards for days... hopefully it won’t last too long.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you guys! Leave me a thought!